Sunday, April 10, 2016

State says it will appeal decision to not list 13-year-old on sex offender registry

The Nebraska Attorney General's office says it will appeal a judge's decision to not list a 13-year-old boy on the state's sex offender registry.

The boy was 11 when he was adjudicated for criminal sexual conduct in Minnesota. He subsequently moved to live with family in Nebraska and the state moved to list the boy on the sex offender registry. Last month, Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf ruled the state could not do that. The state plans to appeal that decision.
Josh Weir, the family's attorney, called the attorney general's decision to appeal shameful; "An absolute waste of time, energy and resources."
Had he stayed in Minnesota, the boy would have been on a part of the registry available only to law enforcement. In Nebraska, all names on the registry are public.

1 comment:

  1. The registry is shameful. To attempt to do this to a 13-year-old is despicable.


Healthy debate and the exchange of ideas are encouraged. Keep your comments clean and respectful. No personal attacks will be allowed.