Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Lawsuit says NC registry has gone too far

Another lawsuit has been filed challenging a state's sex offender registration laws, this time in North Carolina. Two registrants are named in the lawsuit.
The offenders contend that North Carolina's law violates the U.S. Constitution by imposing added penalties after conviction and sentencing, for example by extending the years an offender must register. The lawsuit says they are unconstitutionally banned from practicing their religion by being forbidden from entering churches, and from petitioning their government representatives by effectively being excluded from the General Assembly building.
Full article here.

Read the complaint here.
 

2 comments:

  1. That has happened here in Nebraska. When I was convicted, there was no registry. By the time I was released, a registry had been created and I was required to register annually by mail for 10 years. Before the 10 years was up, they changed it. I now have to register quarterly, in person, for the rest of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to had the that happen me. I wounder how many of us there are?

    ReplyDelete

Healthy debate and the exchange of ideas are encouraged. Keep your comments clean and respectful. No personal attacks will be allowed.