Thursday, January 26, 2017

The government made me a sex offender

How easy is it to become a sex offender, at least in the eyes of the government? An essay in the San Diego Reader - by a man who is not a registered sex offender - explains.
I stood silently as the customs official swiped my passport through the card reader at his station. He swiped it again then lifted his head and stared at me judgmentally. Turning to his terminal, he began typing frantically. “Is something wrong?” I asked, knowing that something indeed was wrong. “Is it the magnetic strip?”“No,” he stated tersely. “The computer has flagged you as a sex offender.” 
 Read more here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy debate and the exchange of ideas are encouraged. Keep your comments clean and respectful. No personal attacks will be allowed.